Welcome to my juice bar and raw foods [...]
How to Choose a Juicer
As the Juice Lady, and best-selling author of several books on juicing, people often ask me what juicer I recommend. How do they choose among all the models on the market? Having tried almost every juicer made, I have my favorites. But I always interview people to find out about their needs.
Here are some of the questions I ask: What do you want in a juicer? What is your lifestyle–are you busy or do you have more time to spend juicing? Is juicing a casual thing or part of your daily routine? Do you want to be able to juice wheatgrass?
Based on your answers, here are my recommendations:
- If you want a centrifugal juicer under $200, I would recommend the Kuvings 9500U or 9500UB below;
- If you want a masticating type of juicer that cold presses the juice and one that will juice wheatgrass, the best model I’ve found is the Omega 8007 and 8o08 Juicer, below;
- If you are looking for a juicer under $100, my top pic is the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juice Extractor 67601 below.
If you still have questions, don’t hesitate to email me.
To gain the greatest benefits of juicing, choose a juicer that is right for you. It can make the difference between juicing daily and never juicing again.
- A Juicer is not a blender.
- Should I get a juicer that keeps all the fiber in the juice?
- Get a machine with a good motor that can sustain blade speed.
- Choose a juicer that can juice all types of produce.
- Make sure the juicer ejects the pulp.
- Choose a juicer with only a few parts to clean!
I need to distinguish between a blender and a juicer. A juicer separates the liquid from the pulp (insoluble fiber). A blender liquefies everything that is placed in it; it doesn’t separate the pulp from the juice.
If you think it might be a good idea to have carrot, beet, parsley, or celery pulp in your juice for added fiber, I can tell you from experience that it tastes like juicy sawdust. For the most flavorful juice, which is juice you’ll drink every day, I recommend using a true juicer—not a high-powered blender. However, high-powered blenders are great for many other recipes such as smoothies, cold soups, and raw food dishes.
I recommend a juicer with at least a 0.5 hp. Weak machines with low horsepower ratings must run at extremely high rpm (revolutions per minute). A machine’s rpm does not accurately reflect its ability to perform effectively because rpm is calculated when the juicer is running idle, not while it’s juicing.
When you feed produce into a low-power machine, the rpm will be reduced dramatically, and sometimes the juicer will come to a full stop. Look for a machine that has electronic circuitry that sustains blade speed during juicing.
I have “killed” some machines on the first carrot I juiced.
Make sure the machine can juice tough, hard vegetables and fruits such as, carrots, and beets, as well as delicate greens, such as parsley, lettuce, and herbs.
Make sure it does not need a special citrus attachment.
You will need a masticating type of machine to juice wheatgrass.
Choose a juicer that ejects pulp into a receptacle.
This design is far better than one in which all the pulp stays inside the machine, and has to be scooped out frequently. Juicers that keep the pulp in the center basket rather than ejecting it cannot juice continuously. You’ll need to stop the machine often to clean it out.
A juicer that ejects the pulp is a time saver because you can line the pulp catcher with a free plastic baggie from the grocery store produce section and you won’t have to wash the receptacle each time. When you’re done juicing, you can either toss the pulp or use it in cooking or composting.
Cherie’s Top Pick Centrifugal Juicer
Kuvings Centrifugal Juicer NJ-9500U and NJ-9500UB
Powerful and efficient 350-watt motor with up to 11,000-rpm food-processing speed makes it easy to process even the toughest fibers to give you the maximum fruit/vegetable to juice ratio possible.
- Capable of 30-50 cups of continuous juicing without cleaning, all the while giving you pure and nutrient-filled beverages.
- Safety locking system prevents unit from operating unless the juicing bowl and its cover are properly locked on the base unit.
- Two-speed functions: Low (9,500 rpm) and Turbo (11,000 rpm).
- Comes with a large capacity chute, 3D mesh screen, stainless steel juicing bowl and blade, and a durable cleaning brush is included to get the toughest spots with ease.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble.
- Silver pearl finish (9500U) and Black (9500UB)
- Measures 8.25″L x 12.9″W x 16″H.
- Made in Korea.
- TUV listed.
- Three-year warranty.
$149.95 – Free ShippingBuy Now!
Found on the world’s first wide mouth slow juicer, Kuvings’ patented, large 3″ feeding tube can easily accommodate whole produce items, reducing prep and processing time up to 40%. This breakthrough juicer can produce a glass of fresh juice in seconds and eliminates the drawbacks of high-speed and slow juicers that harm and destroy important enzymes. The result is juice that’s richer and more full-bodied, with a higher nutritional value and wonderful aroma than other slow juicers. Use the included blank strainer to make sorbets, or make smoothies with the strainer attachment. The juicer is equipped with a drip-free Smart Cap great for making mixed juices and quick, easy rinsing between recipes. The BPA-free components help keep the juice free of unwanted chemicals and the patented cleaning tool makes cleanup a breeze. All in a beautiful, compact design that complements your kitchen and fits under most kitchen cabinets.
- Low-speed masticating technology (60rpm) squeezes every drop of juice from a diverse set of ingredients and maximizes nutritional value while providing natural flavors with a light amount of pulp and fiber.
- 240-watt brushless AC motor efficiently transfers power to the ULTEM juicing screw (auger) to generate a large amount of force at low speed.
- Low speed juicing prevents heat buildup and oxidation that degrade nutrients and natural enzymes.
- Detachable smart cap allows for easy rinsing and cleanups.
- BPA free components ensures juice will never be contaminated with unwanted chemicals.
- Included blank strainer(sorbet maker).
- Included cleaning tool and brush makes cleanup a breeze.
- Measures 6.5″L x 9.6″W x 17.8″H.
- Made in Korea.
- Ten-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Model# B6000S – Silver.
- Model# B6000W – White.
$429.95 Free Shipping
Omega NC900HDC Nutrition System
Omega’s Nutrition Systems are “masticating-style” juice extractors and more! A masticating juicer juices at low speeds of 80 RPM minimizing heat build-up and oxidation. The auger system forces produce into a tight chamber, grinding and pressing the food to squeeze out the juice from items as fine as wheatgrass and leafy vegetables. With a Nutrition Center you can also make all-natural nut butters, baby food, soy milk, almond milk, extrude pasta, grind spices, mince herbs and garlic, and more! NC800/900 compared to the 8006: The size of the feed chute is larger so you spend less time prepping before juicing. The adjustable end cap with 5-settings increases juice extraction efficiency. Use setting 1 for citrus fruits and setting 5 for tougher items like wheatgrass.
$379.95 – Free Shipping!
Omega NC800HDS Nutrition System
Omega’s Nutrition Systems are “masticating-style” juice extractors and more! A masticating juicer juices at low speeds of 80 RPM minimizing heat build-up and oxidation. The auger system forces produce into a tight chamber, grinding and pressing the food to squeeze out the juice from items as fine as wheatgrass and leafy vegetables. With a Nutrition System you can also make all-natural nut butters, baby food, soy milk, almond milk and a variety of healthy snacks. NC800/900 compared to the 8006: The size of the feed chute is larger so you spend less time prepping before juicing. The adjustable end cap with 5-settings increases juice extraction efficiency. Use setting 1 for citrus fruits and setting 5 for tougher items like wheatgrass.
$329.95 – Free Shipping!
Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite
1000-Watt Juice Extractor
Breville Juice Fountain Elite. Commercial performance. Home kitchen convenience. 1000 watts power up to 13,000 RPM for up to 30% more juice than traditional juicers. Over 40,000 filtering pores ensure smooth and delicious refreshment.
Easy-to-clean components allow you more time for enjoyment. The extra-large 3″-wide (7.6 cm) feed-tube maximizes efficiency and cuts down your prep time.
- 1000-watt juicer with 2 speed controls, high (13,000 RPM) and low (6,500 RPM)
- Die-cast steel housing; stainless-steel micromesh filter; titanium-plated cutting disk
- Circular 3-inch feed tube accommodates whole fruits and vegetables
- Pulp container, juicing pitcher, and manual/recipe book included; dishwasher-safe parts
- Locking arm bolts move up to 1/4 in all directions to ensure a snug fit in the locking arm
The Model 8004, above, differs only from the 8003 by having a reinforced auger. It has a 15 year warranty.
Model 8004 – $259.99BUY NOW!
The Model 8006, shown above, differs only from the 8005 by having a reinforced auger. It has a 15 year warranty.
Model 8006– $299.99BUY NOW!
Cherie’s Top Picks!
Omega Model 8007 Nutrition Center
The Omega Model 8007 Nutrition Center is Omega’s 5th generation horizontal single gear masticating juice extractor. Using a low speed of 80 RPMs results in minimal heat build up and oxidation promoting healthy enzymes and longer lasting juices. Designed and engineered for health-conscious individuals who want a greater variety in their daily juicing routine, this 8007 has the ability to also juice everything from wheat grass and leafy greens to fruits and vegetables. Not just for juicing, the Nutrition Center turns nuts into nut butters, extrudes pasta, grind coffee and spices, mince herbs and garlic, make baby food and frozen desserts, and extrude soy milk. The 15 Year Warranty – the longest in the Industry – guarantees you’ve purchased “the last juicer you will ever need to own.”
This is Cherie’s pick!
It has a 15 year warranty.
Omega Model 8008 Nutrition Center
The Omega Model 8008 Nutrition Center is Omega’s 5th generation horizontal single gear masticating juice extractor. Using a low speed of 80 RPMs results in minimal heat build up and oxidation promoting healthy enzymes and longer lasting juices. Designed and engineered for health-conscious individuals who want a greater variety in their daily juicing routine, this 8008 has the ability to also juice everything from wheat grass and leafy greens to fruits and vegetables. Not just for juicing, the Nutrition Center turns nuts into nut butters, extrudes pasta, grind coffee and spices, mince herbs and garlic, make baby food and frozen desserts, and extrude soy milk. The 15 Year Warranty – the longest in the Industry – guarantees you’ve purchased “the last juicer you will ever need to own.”
This is Cherie’s pick!
It has a 15 year warranty.
Omega Vertical Juicing System Silver VSJ843RS
- The tighter fit tolerance of the new dual-edge auger strains more juice and breaks down fiber to a palatable level for a smoother, nutrient-dense juice. This gentle squeezing action keeps healthy enzymes intact, reduces heat build-up, delays the oxidation process, and increasing the juice’s shelf life. Squeeze juice from fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, even wheatgrass or make nut milks. Automatic pulp ejection, so you can juice continuously.
- The AUTO-CLEANING system keeps the screen clear, increasing the machines efficiency. After you are finished juicing, the AUTO-CLEANING system minimizes the clean-up process.
- The vertical design is compact, contemporary and productive. With the Omega VSJ843RS, form and function combine to give you the highest degree of extraction and the healthiest possible juice.
- The VSJ843RS, Juicer is the newest, lowest speed vertical masticating juicer in Omega’s offering.
Omega VERT Slow Juicer VSJ843QS, Square Version, Silver
- http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81G7iyhIhhL._SL1500_.jpgThe *NEW* Omega Vert, Model VSJ843QS Juicer, low speed 43RPM squeezing juicer system.
- The new motor rotates at 43 revolutions per minute (RPM), approximately 50% the speed of the original vertical masticating (low speed) juicers.
- The tighter fit tolerance of the new dual-edge auger strains more juice and breaks down fiber to a palatable level for a smoother, nutrient-dense juice.
- This gentle squeezing action keeps healthy enzymes intact; reduces heat build-up, delays the oxidation process, and increasing the juice’s shelf life.
- Squeeze juice from fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, even wheatgrass. Make nut milks.
Cherie’s Top Pick for a Juicer Under $100
Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juice Extractor 67601
Makes up to 24-percent more juice than a leading competitor
- Fits whole foods for fast, easy juicing
- Powerful 800-watt motor
- Extra-large pulp bin lets you juice longer and add nutrient-rich pulp to any recipe
- All removable parts are dishwasher safe
Creating a Healthy Kitchen with the Vita-Mix
The products I recommend in addition to a juicer include the Vita-Mix™ and the Excalibur Dehydrator.
The Vita-Mix™ is my Top Pick in High-Powered Blenders. Many people ask me if they can make my juice recipes in the Vita-Mix™. You can. But when using the hard veggies, you will have a mushy concoction that you may not find palatable. I use my Vita-Mix™ nearly everyday to make green smoothies, but I first make juice and then pour it in my Vita-Mix™ and add avocado, softer greens, and supplements. This is my breakfast. You can also use the Vita-Mix™ to make soups, purees, and grind nuts.
People ask me all the time if they can use the Vita-Mix™ to make my juice recipes. It won’t work for that. It won’t make juice. It will make smoothies, but not juice. When you use soft fruit and veggies, this works okay. But when you add in high-fiber veggies such as carrots, beets, broccoli stems, asparagus stems, kohlrabi, and some of the heartier greens, you can end up with a mushy concoction that most people do not find very tasty. One lady emailed me to say she had spent an hour straining it through cheesecloth and was more than frustrated. You need a juicer to make juice.
I highly recommend the Vita-Mix™ for green smoothies. I have 100 recipes in my book The Juice Lady’s Big Book of Juices and Green Smoothies. The Vita-Mix™ is fantastic to make those recipes. Choose the Vita-Mix™ as part of your healthy kitchen appliances.
Vita-Mix 1300 TurboBlend 4500
- Heavy-duty, 2+ peak horsepower motor with 2-speed control
- Virtually unbreakable, 64-ounce, polycarbonate container
- All stainless steel enclosed blade assembly with sealed ball bearings
- Metal-to-metal driver, thermally protected motor for optimum performance
- Measures 20-1/2 by 7-1/4 by 8-3/4 inches;
- 5-year warranty
PRICE: $378.95BUY NOW!
Vita-Mix CIA Professional Series
- Countertop blender with laser-cut stainless-steel blades
- 2+ peak hp motor generates blade speeds of 240 MPH
- Durable construction; variable speed control
- 64-ounce jar; recipe books, instructional DVD, and manual included
- Measures 8-3/4 by 7-1/4 by 20 inches; 7-year warranty
PRICE: $498.95BUY NOW!